Monday, June 16, 2008

Summer Reading

I love, love to read. I want my children to love it as much as I do. This summer I am going to really concentrate on reading time with the kids. I have posted a short list of summer reading for kids on the side of my blog. I will be changing these every week or so and adding new books to the list. I want to learn how to do a link so I can make the list longer and include the authors without taking up a lot of space on my side bar. If anyone knows how to do this, please help me:) I have talked to a lot of moms and I have a great children's library that I have been collecting over the years that I would love to share. So a link kind of thing would really be fun to do. Anyway, I don't read as much to my children during the school year as I probably should. They have so much to do with homework and extra activities. I do read out loud to my kids during the summer. We have our favorite books including books a few grade levels above their grade in school. Books like Little Women, Five Little Peppers and How They Grew, etc. Sometimes the older kids will read a book and then I read it and then we talk about it. For instance, the Harry Potter books. There were four of us reading them, each taking our turn and then getting together to talk about it. We made it a date to see the movies together when they came out. I really like how we connected on a different level. Not just mom telling them what they can and can not do. But mom and children having interesting opinions about what we were reading. It has been fun. We have done that with lots of other books. So along with all the other great things we are doing this summer, reading will definitely be on the top of our list!

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

I love to read, but seem to do less of it in the summer! I think it's so much easier to grab a book when it's cold and i want to curl up.