Saturday, June 14, 2008

28 Years




Today 28 years ago David and I were married in my parents log cabin. It was a small family wedding. I remember all the work that went into the wedding. The home was being built by my parents and was not finished yet when I asked my parents if we could be married there. I think they liked the idea because it would help them get the house finished. I borrowed my older sisters wedding dress. My younger sisters and mom made the cake and did the flowers. My brother played his guitar. I came down the stairs from the master bedroom while my sister sang "Longer" David's and my song. I remember that David was so nervous and kept trying to say "I do" every time the Bishop paused during the ceremony. Finally it was the time to say "yes" and he just kind of stood there not sure what he was supposed to say. I just remember that it was for me very special and just how I wanted it to be. I am sure I drove my mom crazy with all the details but I like to think I was pretty good about the whole thing. Reality was that I made David drive back to the house after we left to tell my mom I was sorry, so I must have not had something go my way. He was patient about it but I am sure thought "what have I got myself into?".

This picture was taken right before we left for our honeymoon. My parents had a lot of property and so it was out behind their home. I thought those were the cutest pants ever - oh my goodness - polyester would not be seen today;) We spent three months in Utah working at my father's hotel and gift shop. We were earning money for when we went back to school. David had no idea that I really did not know how to cook much until we got back to college. We ate all three meals every day at the restaurant. I loved it! And I am sure there were many days at school when David wished we were back on our honeymoon - so he could have a decent meal!


We came back to my parents home to pick up all of our stuff and head off to college. I can not believe that I was caught kissing David and that my mom took a picture! Anyone who knows me knows that I am pretty private about that and so I think that David must have paid my mom some pretty big bucks to get this picture:) Also, notice how short my hair was. This was the shortest it had ever been in my whole life. I think I really surprised my mom with short hair. I was trying to cut out a bad perm - you all remember the 70's were the era of permed hair! As I looked through some old photos I have been surprised at how many different hair styles I have had over the years. (That would be an interesting post - hummm)



Seriously, I have been so blessed with this wonderful man. He adores me and I love him. I could not have asked for a better friend to go through this journey of life with. And the most amazing thing is we get to go through eternity together! We were sealed one year and five months later in the Los Angeles temple.
Here we are with baby Ashleigh outside of the temple. Don't we look like such a cute family. Ashlei9gh was one month and one day old. I honestly did not know or could not even imagine that we would go on to have 10 more children. I have been so blessed. It has not always been easy. We had a lot of growing up to do. Through it all there was always love. Happy Anniversary David. I love you!

5 comments:

Aundrea said...

Happy anniversary! (Candy you're not fooling anyone with not showing affection in public...you have 11 children!! Go ahead and give David a big kiss in front of everyone at the picnic tomorrow:)

I hope there are many more happy years to come!

Tiffini said...

Happy anniversary! You two are an example to all of us. I hope you have a wonderful celebration.

Paige said...

Happy Anniversary!! I love all the pictures. Knowing all that you have been through and experienced over the past 28 years it is fun to see the "wide eyed optimism" pictures from the beginning when you didn't know how to cook and had no idea what life held for you.:) Now look at you -- the Enrichment counselor, an eternal family of 13, and grandchildren!!

Rochelle said...

Im laughing at Aundrea's comment!
I think it's a powerful statement "I have been married for 28 years and have eleven children" WOW what an amazing life you have lead so far! I can't wait to see the many more accomplishments in the next 28! Congrats to all of you!

Toshia said...

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad! I was just telling Andrew about 28 years of accomplishment and he is very impressed. Thank you for always being there for us and sticking together no matter what. We love you!