Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Playhouse

When we got back from California the girls could not stop talking about their cousin Elizabeth's playhouse. We have built a couple of playhouses before. One was a log cabin style. Very cute and very indestructible! At our last house the boys really wanted a tree house. David and the kids built a two story beauty with glass windows, a loft, and a real roof. The stairs up the tree were unbelievable. But on both occasions we moved away from the play structures. David was not sure he wanted to build one thinking that the sign we move is when we complete a playhouse. But his little girls are very persuasive. We started drawing up plans and working out all the details. Then one of those unexpected blessings dropped right into our lap. A member of our ward was wanting to get rid of their playhouse that the children had outgrown. I was at the right place at the right time. I let him know right there that I wanted it.

The problem was moving it to our house. So on the afternoon after the father/son campout David borrowed a trailer and got a few men to help out. The missionaries happened along right at the right time and David got their help as well. A big thank you to all the men who helped out!

Now that it was moved in on the platform David built, (actually, on the tree trunks that were left from when we had to cut down our trees) he wanted to make a few additions of his own.
He built a porch and added the door. The girls helped make curtains. We still have some painting to do. All of the kitchen things were moved out there and an old table and some children's chairs added and now the girls have their dream house. They have had lots of fun playing so far and I know it will be fun this summer as David wants to add electricity somehow. I don't know about that but I sure appreciate his willingness to learn new carpentry skills to make his daughters happy!

6 comments:

Jodi said...

Can I come over and play? That is every little girl's dream...and I am still a little girl at heart ;)

Aundrea said...

It's so cute! My girls have loved getting to play in it too:) I love the porch and the door!

Lynn Boyle said...

Too cute, hope the family is feeling better by now. see you at class monday i hope....

Michelle said...

Looking good! I'm sure the girls will have many good memories in it.

Rochelle said...

How fun to have a play house! I think it's every girls dream!

Gina said...

My kids have had a lot of fun playing in that playhouse with Becca & Sam. The door and porch are nice additions.