Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Some of Chad

Yeah Chad! You are awesome! First of all he has had a 4.0 all through middle school. This year he went out for track as well as playing baseball. He said he had always wanted to try it and wanted to do it before high school so that if he liked it he could do that instead of baseball. He is loving it! But he says that he is having the funnest year in baseball as well. I think he he is leaning towards track though. The events he runs are the 100 meter hurdles, 200 meter hurdles, and the 400. He did the 100 meter dash but dropped that so he could improve in the hurdles. And that he did! He broke the school record Tuesday at his track meet. His time in the 100 meter hurdles was 16.68. He was amazing to watch, he clears the hurdles and runs so fast. He qualifies for districts in both the hurdle events. That will be on Saturday. He is excited about that because you get ribbons. The other thing that Chad does well is write. He has been writing stories and poems since he could write. I have a couple of his stories that I have been wanting to have Ashleigh or Seth draw illustrations for and publish. They would make the cutest childrens books. Anyway, he was published this year in a book of poetry created by his school. I know that the middle school has made this book for the last five years, but to see his words in print in a book was awesome! He wrote three poems. I liked the one he wrote called "Green Paint"
"I used to live in the city. My house was all that I knew. Her peeling green paint seemed to catch your stare and guide you through the front door into her loving arms. Even though she was peeling and saggy, I loved her.
One day you say the city is getting bad, so we're going to move. Come on, a small white trash hick town. All I could imagine were farm animals, beat up old houses, and broken down trucks in front yards. I was completely wrong.
My new house is better. She cares for our family. The same shade of green paint had somehow brought a piece of our old house to us, but she is a newer, younger version. Stronger, more stable, her chest swells with pride. A vision of pure light.
Now, you may ask if I belong here. I'll say this is my home; this is my place."
I love that he loves our home and realizes that it is not the building itself that makes it home but those that live within the walls of the building. He does belong here and I am glad he is having such a wonderful time with school and sports. You rock Chad!

7 comments:

Paige said...

That was great! He shows such insight. And you're right -- it's fantastic that he realizes that home is more than wood and shingles. :)

Aundrea said...

Wow! Good job in setting a new school record! I also like the poem:)

Tiffini said...

He is an amazingly talented person! I am impressed that he beat the record during his first year competing! Way to go Chad.

Jodi said...

What a great kid!!

Rochelle said...

Good Job Chad! That is awesome that he is setting new records and carrying a 4 point. His writing is beautiful! OH and he's cute and every girl in the school has a crush on him. ;0)

Toshia said...

What can I say he is the athletic and male version of me...jk! I am totally proud of my lil' bro. I wish him luck in all his talents :)

Elder Caleb Habel said...

That is such a nice picture of chad. He has a very warm smile. Love his insight.