Saturday, January 5, 2008

After Christmas Clean-Up

I love "The Forgotten Carols" by Michael McClean. Every year when I take down the tree and put away all of the decorations I usually play that CD. I especially love the song " I Cry the Day I Take the Tree Down". I really love the message of this song but for some reason I could not bring myself to play the song. This year I was so ready to get things cleaned up! And believe me there were no tears. I did not play any music, just got right down to the job. It has taken me a few days because there have been a lot of interuptions but I finally have everything packed away. Now cleaning the house is another story. I do not do "spring" cleaning. I always do a real deep cleaning when I put away the decorations. This is why it is such a job for me. Many times I also re-decorate, move pictures around, change things up a little. I really love doing this. A lot of times there are new things I received for Christmas that I get to add into my decorating. This year we got a new picture for our hallway wall. I think that we now have that arrangement complete with this picture. It has taken us three years to collect all the art for that wall. Then there are new frames for photos and rearranging the book case. We clean up the garage as we store everything and that is a job because all the children like to get stuff out but not put things away. David took 7 bags to the goodwill today. Even though cleaning is on going it feels good to get this much done. Monday night we will be doing our thank-you notes and then we will be done with this holiday season. I feel so blessed to have had another year with no real major disasters. Everyone is happy and I feel 2008 is going to bring us a lot of fun and new memories. I am looking forward to all that is in store for our family. I still need to work on those resolutions, maybe I will get to that next week....

5 comments:

Aundrea said...

I love decorating for Christmas, but the day after Christmas I am sooo ready to get things put away and everything back to their original places!

Michelle said...

I don't think I've ever been sad to take my tree down, mostly I'm just ready to move on. Having Buster has really made me eager to take my tree down as early as possible so I can quit waiting for him to pull the whole thing over.

Jodi said...

*Glad your house is all back to normal.
*I would love to see the new pic you added to your wall.
*I like the idea of writing 'thank you' notes during FHE.

Elder Caleb Habel said...

You are a rock. "Another year with no real major distasters"...I aspire to be as optimistic as you are. Well it seems I adopted your tradition this year. I played the forgotten carols when I took the tree down and I didn't cry but I seriously hesitated to let this especially magical Christmas be packed up. Now on to that deep cleaning...

Toshia said...

good luck with the cleaning. Make the kids do it, they need the training!