Saturday, November 1, 2008

The hard life of a four year old


Autumn thinks sometimes she has it hard. She says "I have so much school, and trying to read is only fun if mom is teaching me and I can play the piano with my eyes shut. I wish I could play more." What she doesn't realize is that she is constantly playing. Her favorite thing now are the legos. She has really gotten into playing with the legos lately. She is constantly trying to create things with these crazy blocks that stick together. She really is quite clever with the creations she comes up with and there is always a function for whatever she makes.
She has said some funny things lately that I wanted to write before I forget and they become faded memories. Actually she is constantly saying things that just crack me up, so these few do not do give her credit for all the creative things she says. The other night we were having lasagna and she wanted the Parmesan cheese, but she asked for the "Papa John" cheese. (Papa John is her grandfather) We could not figure out what she was wanting until it finally hit me that Parmesan and Papa John must sound a lot alike to a 4 year old. Today she was trying to get Hayden in trouble so she was "telling" on her. Hayden was emphatically denying the accusations. But I told Autumn if she said it was so then Hayden must get in trouble. Then she looked over at Hayden and said, "OK I will tell her you did not do it, but you know you lie at least 50 times a day and I only lie 4 times a day". Hmmmmm, I will have to watch out for that. When Toshia brought baby Jonathan over tonight for all the kids to meet him she looked at him and said, "He is so big, I thought he was going to be as big as a mouse!". But for me the funniest of all this last week was when she was watching TV with her dad and a commercial came on for some kind of exercise thing that helps you get strong abs. She looked over at David and said, "You should get that, you only have two lines and you need a 52 pack like that guy on TV." David said "you mean a 6 pack" and she said "no, I mean a 52 pack look at all those lines on that guy!". We laughed so hard.
Chad has said recently that he wished life was as simple as it was when he was little. I know how he feels sometimes. That is why Autumn is such a blessing to us. She is constantly reminding us to laugh. To be happy. To create even if no one knows what the heck you are making. To say what is on her mind and not hold back. I hope to show her like I was able to for Chad that at one time life was not hard and but growing up can be just as fun as when you were four! But for now Autumn thinks she has all the hard work!

5 comments:

Aundrea said...

That girl is so cute and funny! I love the Papa John cheese story:)

Michelle said...

Autumn has always cracked me up! Rowan has missed seeing her at the school pick up this year.

Lorna said...

This is so sweet and thoughtful.

Anonymous said...

I so love all that you share about your kiddos! Autumn is such a delight.

Also, congratulations on your new grandson! I agree, you are definitely one HOT grandma :)

Jodi said...

I love your stories that you share about your little ones. What a blessing to be reminded everyday to 'be yourself' and not hold anything back. Just be.