Thursday, November 13, 2008

A few thoughts on creating

I have had a few of emails about making things for gift giving. I have thought a lot about this for the last couple of days. What is so wonderful about making gifts for me is that I can really think about that person and try to make or create something for them. It is not always easy, men and older boys are harder for me to come up with things. So most of the time they get thoughtful "purchased" gifts;) Some people have not had such a fun holiday experience when it comes to making things as opposed to buying. Again, for me planning is important. I do sometimes put off the project but I have thought about it and gathered the materials needed. So if I do have to put it off (or just do put it off because I am living life) when I want to pick it up I can. I am constantly looking for and thinking of things to make. So when I get the ideas and write them down it helps me to know when I have enough for that season or what I want to gather over the next several months. It helps to have crafty friends who like to get together at least monthly to create and share ideas. One question that I was asked a couple of times had to do with cost. Creating and making gifts is not necessarily a cost saver. Many times it is and that is why when you keep a list of projects and see things on sale you can really save. But sometimes it really would be cheaper and easier to just buy it. I have done that and please note not everything is entirely homemade. I might make an apron, but along with that gift I give kitchen utensils or baking items. For me I enjoy making things, so it is not that stressful for me. Also, I personally treasure a gift that was made with me in mind and the thought and time put into it. I look forward every year to see what my sister Melissa makes for our family. Each gift is very tailored for our family and much time and effort has gone into it. I know she thinks all during the year what she is going to do for us. Knowing that for me makes her gifts some of my most treasured. Toshia has made cute things for us ever since she was a little girl. Chad helped Autumn last year make the cutest coupon book for me. It was adorable! Ashleigh takes awesome photos and usually makes a gift that uses her photography. Believe me, I love any and all gifts - I was always the one who would sneak and try to find out what everyone was getting- (sorry, mom) I appreciate that someone thought of me enough to get me something. Last year a friend gave me some "bee's" lip balm. I loved it. That little jester lifted me all day long! Every time I use it I think of her sweet smile and it makes me happy! So it is not necessarily that it is homemade but that thought and love go into whatever you give! If you don't enjoy crafting - don't craft. Make your holiday as stressless as you can and don't add unnecessary stress to yourself by thinking you have to make something. But if you do love to craft like me - think, search for, plan, and gather! If you don't have time this year do it for next year. Make it a process that helps to lifts you. I loved the talk this last General Women's Conference where we were encouraged to create! I truly believe that everyone of us has the ability to create. I have seen many of my friends who say "I don't know how" but then try and it is amazing what they come up with. I just love it! I may not get done all I have planned for this year - but that is OK I have a lot of months ahead to create and make :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been feeling more of a desire to create this year, too, and really get some projects completed. I'm hoping to hunker down this winter and get to it. You are indeed such a crafty woman, and I love that you share so much of that with all of us! I'm excited for SS this weekend :)

Michelle said...

I too love the feeling of giving and especially getting a homemade gift.