Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Weekend getaway

This past weekend David and I got away together without any children for our anniversary. Our anniversary was in June but the only time we could both get away at the same time was this last weekend. We have had this planned for several months and it was worth the wait. We went to the Columbia River Gorge Hotel. We both were excited to take a much needed break from all the everyday happenings in the Weitzel family. I took tons of pictures, we ate great food, we lounged around, we walked a lot, we shopped, we had great fun!

Our first stop was the Multnomah Falls. We have hiked the falls several times over the years. It was one of the first things we did on our honeymoon. So when David suggested we stop at the falls I was all for it. I don't think he thought I wanted to hike to the top but I did and so like the great husband he is he agreed. It was not to hot there at the bottom of the falls but as we ascended to the top it was warmer than I thought. We were not that prepared and so had no water. This little adventure was not on David's planned list of activities so he said it was my fault for no water. It was so fun and I am glad he went along with my request.

Here we are at the top. What a view of the gorge! It was beautiful and worth the mile long hike uphill to see it. David was glad we did it and I was glad that after all these years we can still climb to the top!

The hotel was more beautiful than I had imagined. The grounds were gorgeous! I loved the nostalgic feeling of the hotel and it felt as if we had walked back in time. David knew I would love the atmosphere here. He knows me to well!


The view was spectacular as I am overlooking the waterfall that is at the back of the hotel. Our room overlooked the river and when we ate Sunday morning we had window seats looking out over the river as well. Even though the weather was warm the breeze from the river made it very bearable. And it helped there was air conditioning in the hotel.


One thing I have wanted to do for years is take the dinner train up to Mt. Hood. David had arranged for this and was quite surprised to find out that not only did we get dinner but there was live entertainment as well. On the return ride home there we were involved in a "murder mystery" The actors were very funny and the more the people got involved the more entertaining it was. They would go from car to car doing the play and it was fun to see them try to remember their lines for our car. I think it was one of the funnest dinners we have had! The food was fabulous and the scenery was beautiful as we went up into the mountains.

It was a great way to celebrate 28 years of marriage! I am so glad we took the time to get away and relax. I am looking forward to lots more years of fun and love from the greatest guy in my life! Thanks David for a great weekend get away!

6 comments:

Aundrea said...

What an amazing way to celebrate 28 years together! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Rochelle said...

28 Years, that is cool!

Elder Caleb Habel said...

What a fun weekend, I want to hear more about the train ride.

Michelle said...

That look like so much fun! I love the huge breakfast that they serve in that hotel. Happy Anniversary!

Tiffini said...

That sounds like a wonderful getaway. I have always thought those dinner trains would be fun.

Jodi said...

WOW...what a fun getaway! That hotel looks sooo nice. The view is amazing. What a sweet husband to plan such a wonderful weekend together. You guys are so cute :)