Sunday, August 24, 2008

Relief Society Retreat

I just have to say a few words about our retreat this last weekend. I had a fabulous time and it was so fun to mingle with the sisters. I really needed the companionship of my friends. Usually this time of year I am off to BYU Education Week. This year we did not go because of the housing situation. I look forward every year to going and getting my bucket filled with wonderful ideas and new understanding. I was kind of sad about not going because it really is the one thing I have done that is completely for me. Although I must say my family benefits because I am a better wife and mother for it. Anyway, I was hoping to find some of that with the retreat. As we prepared for it and planned as a presidency what we wanted for the sisters I really got excited. Jenn asked for help and it was the thing I needed to fill my bucket. I know that sounds funny because I did make some things that took some time and I had to study for the devotionals. To some that might seem like I was emptying my bucket, but for me at this time, that service is what filled my bucket. I was giving instead of waiting for someone to fill me. I learned so much from what I was studying and all I wanted to do was share so my sisters could grow and have a desire to move forward. Being a mother and wife is a hard thing sometimes and when we share and rub shoulders together it helps me to love my role as a mother and wife. It helps me see I am not alone. That even though situations are different our goals are the same. I also loved my sisters in a different way this weekend. I saw them through different eyes and that has blessed me! All day today I had a smile on my face as I thought of each person who was there and how much we did have in common. I have a hard time sometimes because I am older than most of the young mothers in our ward but it did not feel that way this weekend. Thank you Jenn for hosting! Thank you all for sharing and adding to my empty bucket! I love my sisters in the gospel!

4 comments:

Rochelle said...

I too loved the retreat and felt the sisterhood and that age did not matter! Thank you all for the effort and hard work !

Tiffini said...

I have never thought of you as one of the "older" women....wiser perhaps. It sounds like a wonderful bucket filling retreat.

Jodi said...

The retreat was wonderful and just what my spirit needed, too! Your devotional on Friday night filled 'my bucket' and now I am striving to stay more focused and trying to be more consistent in moving forward in HIS light. I love hearing you speak...you have an amazing gift for touching people's heart with the spirit!

Elder Caleb Habel said...

What a wonderful experience. I just love what service does for a weary soul. I too needed to do this. I am seeing a theme for next year... fill your bucket! I love you Candy!