Sunday, August 3, 2008


Today in Relief Society I got to teach about Nobility in Motherhood and Joy in Womanhood. It really was a great teaching experience. I had been studying for a while on the topic and kept being led to two scriptures that I could not figure out how they related to the topic. But the more I studied the more I understood that connecting the scriptures was part of the process of FINDING. And FINDING was the key to the whole thing for me. In order to experience joy and nobility we need to FIND the light. The light leads us to joy and then we have a greater desire to serve. In serving we are becoming more like the Savior who served us all. He is the light. He experiences the joy we do as we serve and obey. It's a circle that we need to FIND ourselves in. I told one of my new favorite children's stories, "The Quiltmaker's Journey". The picture above is one I shared that had been taken while reading to Autumn. It is a favorite picture of mine because it represents the joy I have when spending time with the kids. (Actually it is one of the few pictures I really like of myself - how prideful is that?) Anyway, with all the trials and adversity we each face I now think of the road as paved with light, joy, and service. The adversity stuff are just the stepping stones we have to cross on to appreciate all the more those joyous times. As a handout I cut nine squares of fabric for each sister in the ward to sew into a quilt block. When they are done we will as a sisterhood have a quilt top that will be tied for the humanitarian project. I think it will be the most beautiful quilt because everyone will have served in a small way to make the project happen. I am so excited to put it all together. If they all get done we should have two twin quilts! I am thankful for these teaching opportunities because I know I learn way more than I can pass on. I really liked how the spirit worked on me this time by continually putting those scriptures in my thoughts. I can truly say that after all is said and done I am a Joyful mother who knows!

2 comments:

Tiffini said...

I love the look on Autumn's face. So cute.

Anonymous said...

Your lesson was wonderful, Candy! I may have to come borrow your sewing machine now though :)