Monday, April 28, 2008

An attitude of happiness

I found this old picture while sorting through some pictures for a circle journal I am working on. The theme for this journal is "R U Happy?" I can remember a few years ago at education week I took a class that changed my attitude completely. I made a choice right then and there to be happy. Not that I was always gloomy or sad but sometimes I just would have my own little "pitty" party. I realized that there is so much to be happy about. Not everything is going to go like I would like so I have a choice to make when things go wacky. I am not perfect at this yet but I am a lot better at choosing to be happy when everything around me seems to be crazy. Look at the smiles on these children. They are what motivates me to be happy. For my layout I borrowed the quote off of my friends blog "Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude. " Denis Waitley. I really believe this! A few months ago I caught myself being so sad over situations I could not change. Last week I finally really came to the conclusion that my attitude of happiness needed to come back. I prayed for the strength to let things go - I in essence gave it back to Heavenly Father. What a beautiful week I had last week. I handled things with a determination to be happy. It made all the difference. I cannot change my children or their choices but I can have the attitude of happiness and live with love, grace and gratitude. Maybe through this example that happiness will rub off onto the children and they can look back and remember days like the one in the picture - all smiles!

7 comments:

Paige said...

That is a great picuture!! I too need to remind myself to be happy sometimes. Thanks for the nudge!

Aundrea said...

What a great picture! Once again you've set a great example for me:)

Jodi said...

Living in the moment and appreciating life each day isn't always easy to do especially during challenging times. Your words here really inspire me. Love you, friend :)

Michelle said...

Thank you for a wonderful reminder! I needed that today. And how cute are those kids?! I love Autumn looking so happy sandwiched in between her brothers.

Tiffini said...

I love the picture--Autumn looks so little!!

Toshia said...

I am so happy that you are happy! The kids look so cute in that picture. If only they could stay that sweet and innocent forever right? I love ya :)

Elder Caleb Habel said...

I too am happy you are happy! Your children are beautiful. Thanks for the reminder, I can throw a really great pity party now and again. :0)