Monday, April 14, 2008

A hard thing to do

Yesterday I had to do something that did not really hit me until after I had done it. It was so sad, yet when I was asked to do it I just did it. My dear friend had called me and told me that her mother-in-law had just passed away and would I go up to the church and get her son (my friends brother-in-law) and tell him that he had to get to the emergency room right away. First of all, I was shocked to hear the news but did not hesitate at all to do what she asked. I asked Dave to go with me because I did not know how hard it would be to find him. Well, right there in the foyer I saw him standing there and walked over and said you have to get to the hospital right away there is something wrong with your mom. But he did not hear me very well and so I repeated what I had said but this time said that his mother had just passed away. It did not hit me until I saw the look on his face. I have never had tell someone that before, let alone someone who I did not know very well. His wife was very near and as he grabbed her and told her she nearly fell over. Both of their responses were "No!" Well, of course they immediately left for the hospital I am sure in shock. But the look on his face has stayed with me all evening and this morning. I knew this sweet sister for a very long time. I always had wished I had known her when she was younger. She was someone I always looked up to. She supported her husband as Stake Patriarch and was a wonderful example of service for me. I know she will be missed. Their family was in our morning prayers today as I am sure they were in the many friends she had made over the years. I am blessed to have known her and I am so glad was able to help out my friend in relaying the news even though now I think about it - it was a hard very thing to do.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

Yikes...that doesn't sound like a fun thing to do but you are the kind of friend a person can turn to in difficult situations.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Elder Caleb Habel said...

I am sorry you had to be the one to tell him, but I agree with Jodi, You handle stressful situations beautifully.