Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Hearts for the ones I love


Saturday when the boys were out on their snow camp out I was in the mood to bake. I don't know why I can't eat any of it - but I think I do that to myself to prove I have willpower -whatever! Anyway, I usually use an old shortbread recipe I have for cut out cookies. This time I used a new recipe that I came across while blog surfing (instead of surfing the Internet I surf blogs - I don't know if that is what you call it but I sometimes spend to much time doing it;)) The recipe is not for the diet minded person -

4 Cups of flour
1 lb. of butter
1 Cup of sugar
1 tsp. almond extract

Blend butter and sugar together and add extract. Add flour. Roll out on floured surface. (I refrigerated some of the dough while I worked with the first piece. I did not find that it made that much of a difference) Bake at 300 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Take out when cookies just start to brown.

For these sweet things I melted chocolate and dipped half the heart in. My kids were funny because they wanted the whole heart dipped. I wanted to make an "artistic" statement. Whatever, they enjoyed licking the leftover chocolate out the pan:)


The boys were so surprised to come home to such a delicious treat. They were funny because they weren't sure if they could eat them and because I have not done lots of baking as of late - I think they thought they were for an event. When I told them I was welcoming in February with hearts for the ones I loved they were so jazzed. David has hid some to make sure they last all week for his lunch. I do have to say I resisted really good through the whole process. I found a half eaten one (probably Autumn thinking that if she left some of it no one would notice one was missing) so I did taste it and I have to say they were so yummy! I did not need anymore after that but I have to say that it is a good thing for David I am not eating lots of treats right now or he would not have any left for his lunch by Friday:)

5 comments:

Toshia said...

I believe that it is called "blog stalking" mom

Aundrea said...

I'm glad I was on the recieving end of some of those cookies! They were very yummy! Thanks:)

Rochelle said...

mmm they look good! I might have eto do some baking soon!

Michelle said...

Ooohhh! Those look so good!

Tiffini said...

mmmmm those look good.