Friday, February 20, 2009

Yesterday, tomorrow or today?


Today while driving to Fred Meyers to purchase some shelves (I am doing an office make-over) Autumn was just cracking me up. She has a memory like an elephant and does not forget anything promised to her. The conversation was something like this:

"Mom, is today tomorrow?"

"Yes, if yesterday was when you were told tomorrow."

"Was yesterday after church day?"

"Yes, church day was five days ago."

"So does that mean that tomorrow already happened?"

"Autumn, what was supposed to happen on "tomorrow"?"

"I supposed to go to Toshia's house."

"You did go to Toshia's yesterday."

"But I think I supposed to go on tomorrow."

Needless to say I was a confused mess as to what day it was let alone when I got to Fred Meyers I totally forgot why I was there. On the way there I had told Autumn to remind me that I had a book to pick up at the book store. When I said to her, "Why did I come here?" she said, "well, maybe you thought this was the way to that book store where your book is. But if you ask me I still don't get why yesterday I was at Toshia's when I was supposed to go tomorrow!" Now I am aware that five year olds can get confused but surely there must be simple way to explain the whole today, tomorrow, yesterday thing without me getting mixed up:) I finally (after walking around the store for about five minutes) remembered why I was there. As we passed the playland Autumn asked if she could go in and so I inquired at the desk and found out she was too old. When I told her she replied, "Mom, I never knew what is was like to be to old before. Now I know when you say you are old you must be missing playland." Can I just say I have been chuckling all afternoon over this silly conversation. As she is now off playing with the kids I am a little sad that these moments will be soon gone and she will be all grown up. I truly treasure the sweet hours during the school day that I spend with her. Only Ashleigh got this much undivided attention from me and I am sure she does not remember it.
I only hope that as I remember all my yesterdays today, that my tomorrows will be filled with sweet days like today!

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

I love the quote from Sister Hinkley, I might put it on my blog also.
Very funny, old and missing out on play, it really is how it works!