Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sweet reminder

For FHE this week I did a lesson on the people of Jared and how the brother of Jared prayed that they would not lose their language and the whole tower of Babel story. We then talked about building the barges and how they crossed to the new land. The main point I wanted to emphasize was that when they got there they prayed and thanked Heavenly Father for all he had done to protect them and bring them safely there. Our discussion was centered on the fact the we not only pray for the things we want or need but that after the answer has come or we see that we had been protected we need to stop and thank Heavenly Father for answering our prayers. Autumn then related a story she had learned in Primary about when Jesus healed some men and only one came back and thanked Him. (It was her simple five year old version of when Jesus healed the ten lepers) We just sat there in amazement that first of all she was actually paying attention to the FHE and that she remembered what she had been taught in her Primary class. Not that she is not capable of this but her five year old mind does not always think the same as us:) Anyway, today actually just minutes ago, she surprised me again with how she was paying attention. The conversation went something like this:

Autumn: I am so hungry (a phrase I hear at least 100 times a day)

Me: Go get a cracker, I am almost done (working on taxes)

Autumn: I don't want a cracker, isn't there anything else?

Me: No, just let me have five more minutes.
Me: Autumn, what are you doing? (As she is kneeling under my desk)

Autumn: I am praying to Heavenly Father that you will think of something else besides a cracker for me to eat!

Me: (after I see she is done) Well, go get an apple or orange from the fridge.

Autumn then runs off and brings back an orange to peel. While I am doing that she is back under the desk.

Me: Autumn, get out from under there and eat this out in the kitchen!

Autumn: What, I am praying and thanking Heavenly Father that you thought of an orange for me to eat instead of the crackers, isn't that what you told us to do?

Wow, I love it when their sweet minds remember the things we teach especially when we least think they are paying attention. Her reminder to me of what she was taught in an informal setting brought me to my knees to thank my Heavenly Father for answering my many petitions to him to send these spirits down to our family and for allowing me the opportunity to teach and love them!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

That girl is just too sweet! How nice to get confirmation that they are listening and learning.

Rochelle said...

What a cute little girl! She has quite the personality!

Emma J said...

I *loved* your story - I'm missing those days.

And I want to try that shortbread recipe!

Lynn Boyle said...

she's so sweet. had fun today with you guys cannot wait til next time. thanks again for thinking of me