Sunday, September 21, 2008

My crazy week!

What a crazy week last week. I cannot believe I got through it. I usually don't stress out to much about stuff and my week was going along just great - two really hard workouts, walking partner back for morning routine, piano lessons, managed to get four more aprons made for the bazaar, homeschool with Autumn, Monday movie date with little kids. On Wednesday after my workout I could not believe how tired and wiped out I felt. I just did not feel right. So after a short school time with Autumn and feeding her I laid on the recliner while she watched some "Dora". I just felt so sore and tired. I made it through piano lessons but just did not have any energy. I went to bunco and while there my throat started to get scratchy. After I got home and in bed I got so cold! I mean shaking I was so cold and could not warm up. My body ached so bad. I kept thinking I must have worked out way to hard. Needless to say I did not sleep well. Thursday I had Presidency meeting and I am sure they thought what is up with her? I did not talk much and thought I am so tired. I came home and just crashed upstairs. Autumn played games and watched her shows and I drifted in and out of sleep. I just kept praying she did not get into things she was not supposed to. I did not go to Steve's to do my work and by Thursday night I was finally not cold anymore but hot! Friday I rested most of the morning and by the afternoon was feeling pretty good. The only mishap was that Autumn called 911 and the police came. At that point I told her this was her second offense and I was sure they would take her downtown for questioning. (I was trying to scare her because she has done this before) When the officer came to the door she looked at me and started to run upstairs and said "I will be under Hayden's blankets tell them I don't live here anymore!" I guess I really scared her - I opened the door and she had to talk to him. But to make her happy he let her see the inside of his car and made her a junior officer if she promised to never do it again unless someone was really hurt. After that I taught a few more piano lessons. All week I had thought I really wanted to go to see Brad Wilcox who was giving a fireside for the adults and speaking to the youth the following day. But should I even try to go? It would be about an hour and a half to two hour drive. David said no, but I was feeling a lot better. When Eliza called and said if I could be ready in 15 minutes she would go with me. I was so excited. I did not want to miss this fireside. After my crazy sick week (I must have had the flu, I am sure working out does not do that to you:)) his words were just what I needed. Having missed education week this year I was in desperate need of a spiritual feeding. His message Friday was a simple one "If you can laugh at it, you can live with it". I really could put into perspective my week, not only that, but my feelings of inadequacy when it come to Paige. I have come to grips with my shortcomings with my older kids, but I am still working through things with my Paige. He said a lot of great things and made us laugh a lot but one thing in particular that really helped me was the comment he made regarding the fact that we are raising our kids in a sewer. The world now is so much of a sewer. We have no need to feel guilty about what we are teaching them or that maybe we could have done more, the fact that we did anything at all is part of the solution for them. Any effort of any kind is part of the solution. That really resonated with me. When Enoch was praying so hard to the Father the thing that kept coming back to his mind were the "teachings and words of his father". I pondered this one idea all evening and into the night. On Saturday we all got up very early and took the kids to youth conference. What another great day of spiritual feeding. David took the little ones to the beach while I stayed and listened to speakers. Then we met up for lunch and we all stayed and listened to one last talk from Brad Wilcox. In that talk the one phrase I took was to "learn to act instead of reacting". He really taught a valuable life lesson with that one phrase. I also took a lot from his talk he gave earlier in the day. Sister Papas taught a wonderful lesson as well as President Thomas. A lot to ponder. When I got up this morning to get ready for church I thought how blessed I was to make it through this tough week - tough for me - how much joy I have in my life - how grateful I am that the Lord puts people in our lives who can teach our spirits - how grateful I am for my calling and service in the gospel right now - how much I love and adore ALL my children even the ones who don't want that love right now - what a wonderful husband and friend I have and that I get to spend not just this life time but all of eternity with him! - how I have lots of great friends who hold me up and help me even though they don't know they are helping me - that I can finally see the humor and laugh at the little 911 incident - WOW! As I go to bed this evening I will ponder on what the new week will bring and know that whatever it is I will be able to find something in it to make me laugh!

5 comments:

Paige said...

Sounds like a great weekend -- even if it wasn't a great week. :) Brad Wilcox was one of my favorite speakers when I was at EFY and he was Brian's brother's mission president. I wish I had gotten to go!

Elder Caleb Habel said...

I just love your wisdom. Brother Wilcox was so inspiring. I am grateful for the experience.

Toshia said...

I am so glad that you are feeling better, it is nice to have you back in the land of the living!

Gina said...

I would have loved to have been able to go to the fireside, but we had lots of Kirk's family in town. Lauren called 911 once, but she was only 15 or 16 months old and was just randomly pushing buttons on the phone and just happened to hit the right sequence of numbers.

Tiffini said...

I am glad the crazy week could end with some uplifting experiences! I love it when someone says something that gives me perspective.