Monday, September 1, 2008

Father's Blessings

Every year on this Monday before school starts David gives the children "father's blessings" for school. Some years the older children have come home just for this event. He used to give me one before the seminary year started when I was teaching. At that time you were not set apart for that because it was an assignment from CES. It was so comforting for me to hear the words of his blessing and I knew that Heavenly Father knew me and what I desired and what I needed to make it be a successful year. I know He knows the children in the same way. Recently I came across an article that said one way to be more spiritual and have more spirituality in your home was to use the priesthood more. Even though this is an annual event and everyone looks forward to starting school with this special blessing, it does not have to be the only time we use it. I have been really good at knowing when there is a test or something really hard coming up at school for one of the children and taking time out to pray for them at that time of day. As we were talking about this article it occurred to me that a father's blessing could help also during some of those times. We use blessings occasionally but not as often as maybe we should. I think if the children can see the priesthood in action more maybe they will come to reverence it more and have a greater desire to have it in their homes when they are older. I know that Heavenly Father is just waiting to pour out blessings to us. All we have to do is ask. It will bring us closer to Him as we learn to lean on Him and love Him more for what He has blessed us with. I am so grateful for the priesthood in my home. I am a stronger mother and woman because of the blessings that the priesthood brings to my life. So as we end this day with the blessings for the school year I will resolve to be better at using the priesthood more in my home.

3 comments:

Rochelle said...

We do this too and I love the warmth it brings to our home.

Michelle said...

I got such a kick out of my boys getting their blessings last night. Rowan was SO serious about the whole thing, and wanted to be sure Paul said all the same things he said for Fuller and Grayson.

Jodi said...

Jamie did this last year for Ben and we are looking forward to it happening again this next week (Ben doesn't start school until the 8th). It is definitely a blessing to have the priesthood in our homes and I agree that we should utilize it more often.