Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First day "tradtions"




The first day of school is always a very much anticipated time at our house. Because I threaten to homeschool all summer long they never really know for sure if I am sending them to school:) That said, our first day went very well! Everyone had their first day new outfit (a tradition of ours) and all their personal school supplies. I asked the kids what some of their first day "traditions" were.
CHAD: I never take the tags off my clothes until the morning I get dressed for school. I love the smell of brand new jeans.
CHLOE: I make sure I have something different to wear each day the first week. After that I don't care.
NOAH: I wait until the morning of the first day to even worry if I have my school supplies. Sometimes that works for me and sometimes it doesn't. Since I am last to get my stuff sometimes I don't get the colors I want.
TAYLOR: I make sure everything is laid out the night before and then for some reason I always wake up early the first day. I just am happy when it's the first day!
HAYDEN: I don't know of a tradition I do because I have only gone to school for a couple of years. I like having new shoes.
Everyone was very happy with their teachers and this year we are doing the bus thing. The first year we were here I had the boys ride the bus but there were a couple of problems so I ended up just taking them to school. The bus experience was new for us because I had always taken and picked kids up from school. This year with the price of gas and wanting more time for Autumn's homeschooling we are letting the bus do all the running around. I think I am going to like not being in the car all that time but I will miss the conversations that always take place at that time of day. Maybe I can be better this year about having sweet smelling snacks for the kids when the walk in the door! At least I will give it a try at least once a week. Yesterday went so fast that I could not believe it was time for everyone to be home already. Autumn loved the work I had for her but did tell me it was a bit easy and could she also write all her lower case letters any time I had her writing something. I am just reviewing stuff I told her and she was going to get the "hard" stuff starting next week. She just said "I bet you forget to make it hard". I just laughed because she is right that I do forget a lot of things. She knows me to well. I am happy that all went well for the first day - we will see how happy and cheerful everyone is in a couple of weeks when they all get settled into the routine of it all!

5 comments:

Jodi said...

I love that you captured THEIR thoughts about the first day of school. Cool idea.
They ALL look so cute! Hope the day went well :)

Aundrea said...

I loved reading what your kids had to say...Noah makes me laugh:) Yesterday I was waiting outside to watch for Maika and Hayden, they looked so cute and grown up walking around the corner!

Paige said...

I love all the traditions, the ones you knew you had and the ones the kids added! Glad they had a good day.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet idea to record their thoughts! I love the excitement of the first day of school, I hope they all have a great year!

sheila said...

My first day tradition is that I always tuck a note in their backback telling them that I love them and that I hope that they have a great year at school.
I think that the fathers blessing is a great idea.