Saturday, December 1, 2007

Cutting the Christmas Tree




Our annual trek to go and get our Christmas tree this morning was greeted with snow! Boy were the kids excited when they woke up to snow falling outside. It was not cold enough to stick but that did not matter as Noah had predicted a "blizzard" for Saturday and any snow falling was "blizzard" conditions enough for him. It is always interesting as David always tries to find the right tree and I just want to hurry and get it cut and the kids want to get to the hot chocolate tent. This year they had an old van made into a shelter with a heater and benches. We will decorate Monday night for family night - a long established tradition in our family - tree on Saturday and decorate on Monday. I use to try to have the tree all perfectly decorated and ornaments all in their proper places but have long since given up on the idea as it is more fun to let the kids decorate it and talk about each ornament and its story. I will have many years when there are no kids (that seems so far off) when David and I can decorate our way (mostly my way) to our hearts content. For now it is the children's tree.

6 comments:

Paige said...

I had a few years where it got to be "my tree." Now I am learning to appreciate all of the hand made ornaments and the excitment that comes as the kids find treasures to put on the tree that they had forgotten about. I'm glad Noah got his blizzard. Maybe he will be a meteorologist? ;)

Toshia said...

I cannot wait to come over and see the tree, I will try to come on Monday for FHE. Love ya!

Jodi said...

We enjoyed the 'blizzard' conditions! And what a treat to go and get your tree on a day that it was snowing! Glad you had a fun day :)

Unknown said...

I'm loving reading your blog as it allows me to catch up on your family (besides the regular updates from Marisa!) I miss you lots, Candy. Wish we could have talked more at Steve's party. I wish you and your family the best of holidays.

Monica Weitzel

Michelle said...

Looks like a wonderful outing! I guess I'm really behind schedule, looks like everyone but me got their tree this weekend.

Aundrea said...

I'm glad you had fun! Taylor was raving about the new trailor for the hot chocolate:)