Thursday, November 29, 2007

Decorating Day

About 10 or 11 years ago when I was teaching preschool one of the little girls came to school one day and said to me " Teacher Candy, guess what I have in my back pack? I have Christmas". I said "Is it a present? Is it cookies for me? What kind of Christmas could you have in your back pack?" She then taught me a lesson I have never forgotten. She pulled out of her back pack a toy nativity set. She said "See this is Christmas and I carry it with me wherever I go!" I wanted to carry Christmas with me so since that time I have collected nativity sets. They have come to be the best part of my Christmas decorating. I have several that are kid friendly and some very special ones that have stories all their own. Today as I was trying to get everything unpacked and decorated Autumn was under foot and instead of getting frustrated with her (my new goal -give away frustration to the Lord and love the ones I'm frustrated with) I suddenly remembered the little girl in my preschool class. I love how the Lord put that in my mind to help me love. I said Autumn lets go get Christmas and you can help me. She was occupied until we left to go get the kids from school and I got all the decorating done (except the tree of course, that will be Saturday). When I got home this evening I could tell that the wise men and shepherds and Mary and Joseph and baby Jesus had been moved and loved all evening long. I love this holiday the most of all because Christ came as a small baby and it is the small ones who teach me life's most precious lessons.

9 comments:

Paige said...

What a sweet story. My girls love the Nativity sets, too. And I *love* your goal regarding frustrations. I need to work on that, too. I keep having to remind myself that they are only little for a little while and I need to let them do what little kids do -- even if it means more work for me. :)

Aundrea said...

I'm so glad you're my friend! You always teach me something I need to work on. Not by being "preachy" but by being an example:) Thanks!

Tiffini said...

Yeah...I just found your blog. I love the story about carrying Christmas with you, what a great reminder.

Jodi said...

This story gave me chills. That little preschool girl knew what it is all about, didn't she?! What a powerful reminder to keep Jesus Christ the focus of our holiday season. Thanks for sharing!

Rochelle said...

I am always so impressed by you. Thanks for sharing such a cute story.

Toshia said...

Mom, thank you for instilling a love for nativities in me. Did I tell you I found a little one in Cancun this year? Now I know I have to decorate even if it is just for me.

Michelle said...

How wonderful! I feel like going out and buying a little nativity to keep in my purse to help me remember what it's all about. Maybe that would help me spend a little less money.

Anonymous said...

What a super sweet story! I totally agree that we need to remember the reason for the season. I just journaled about that yesterday. And I love that you let your kids be a part of so much, because it is important to let them to "help" and feel included. Thanks for your inspiration to deal better with my frustrations :)

Marie said...

Great reminders about Christmas and frustrations!