Monday, December 13, 2010

Day 1 - Twelve Days of Christmas

We are doing a very different Christmas this year. For a couple of years now we have wanted to scale back - make things simpler. David and I wanted to focus more on giving - the giving of time and service. So we are starting a new tradition. We are doing the "Twelve Days of Christmas". How this works is that for the grown children not living at home they received a tote last night full of their twelve gifts. For the ones at home we are bringing them out one at a time during scripture time every morning. On Christmas morning we will gather for our name exchange - the kids draw names every year - and have a brunch and probably go caroling or something together as a family. I made quite a few of the gifts so I have been working fast and furious the last six weeks to get this all done by yesterday. I was totally finished on Saturday with all of our Christmas stuff so now I can sit back and relax and enjoy the holiday! David and I are so excited about this. I know the older kids not living at home will enjoy it - I do worry about Chloe, Chad and Noah as they are at that in between age and just don't see the point in some of it. But they will get over it as they move on and start their families. This morning Autumn was so excited - as everyone was still very sleepy she said "This is going to be so fun - I can hardly wait for each morning!" In addition to the gift - at my house I also have a small gift wrapped with a scripture attached. We read the scripture then feel the gift and try to guess what's inside by the clues read in the scripture. Now that woke up a few of them as they got to feel the gift. They liked opening up chocolate coins-treats in the morning always make you happy!



Today's gift:

The "Service" pillow. Every year we try do some sort of secret service to each other. I usually have some little thing that gets left behind then when you find it you do for some else and leave it for someone else to find. This year I made these cute pillows. I learned to do some quilting this year so applied those new skills to this Christmas pillow. David wrote the following poem that I attached to the pillow - (he's so clever with things like that)

The Christmas Service Pillow

Like the branches of the lovely willow
Spreading their influence through the air
Lives will be touched by the Christmas Service Pillow
Service shared is sometimes rare
Leave behind the pillow to show you care
Then with your pillow serve another and pass it along
This opportunity will fill your heart with song!

Happy First Day of Christmas!

3 comments:

Lindsay Teter said...

i love that idea! :) can't wait to see what the gift each day is...

Darilyn said...

I love all of your ideas and traditions. I love the idea of having a special gift each morning for your children. that is really fun.

Nathan, Sarah, Liam, Deacon, and Jude said...

What a good idea. i LOVE that pillow!