Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My "praying" mantis

This morning when I went out to my car to take the kids to practice and the high school this little guy was on the hood of our car. It magically stayed on the hood for the whole trip!
I had one of these when I was a little girl. I don't know if I caught it or my dad or brothers. But I do remember being fascinated by the fact that it "prayed". Now this morning Chad tells me it is a "preying" mantis not a "praying" mantis. Whichever it is I like to think of it as a reminder to me that I need to pray. That little fact has been on my mind lately. Being more aware of my prayers and what and when I pray. This morning was very interesting because I ended up saying three different prayers all before 7:00am. Then when I saw this little guy I just knew that Heavenly Father was listening and reminding me of the lesson I learned so many years ago as a small little girl. I remember my dad talking to me about how this insect would "pray", he showed me how it looked when it was folding it's arms and how it stayed real still as if listening for an answer to its prayer. It was a powerful lesson for my little girl mind and one of the few I remember my dad teaching me about a gospel topic. I think I only kept it a few days before setting it free - or maybe it died from lack of food and water, whatever the case that lesson learned so many years ago about prayer was brought back very vividly to my mind as I saw this little guy on the hood of my car. I was glad I had remembered to say my prayers this morning, I was glad that I needed two more opportunities to talk with Heavenly Father again before my day really started - most of all I am glad I got to talk to my little girl about the "praying" mantis and teach her the way my dad taught me. This has been a wonderful, thought filled day!

1 comment:

Johnson Family said...

Candi, it is a Praying mantis, I just looked it up cause there is one on our window. After reading some of your posts I loved how you said they remind you to pray and I started thinking "I need a Praying mantis some days" and walah it shows up. My hubby said I could keep him if I could catch him :)

Ashley