Saturday, July 25, 2009

Ten Day Spiritual Trek

Yesterday I finished my 10 day spiritual trek. Ending on the celebration of pioneer day was really special for me. Last year I had gone on a trek with the youth and that was awesome in so many ways. I learned a lot about myself and loved watching the youth grow in ways that only can happen on a trek. I also enjoyed spending the time with David and learning a lot about him as well. I have thought a lot this week how I wish I had been in the better physical condition that I am this year. It would not have been so hard - but on the other hand that is what motivated me more to finally lose the last of my "baby" weight and get into a better more consistent exercise plan. This trek was very different for me. A journey that I did not expect to take me the way it did. I have to say to study the scriptures by topic is not a way I usually do. I was lead to many scriptures I don't think I would have gone to on my own. I found I have many things to work on in my life to even measure up to the sacrifice and devotion of the early pioneers. I also realized that I have the ability to finish what ever I set my mind to do. I know my sacrifices that I have to make at this time are just as hard as they were for the pioneers. The thing I learned the most was it is all attitude. My attitude to do the things that will bring me closer to Christ is what will make what sacrifices I have to make all the easier. The pioneers had for the most part a willing attitude or willing heart. One that made them feel as if what they were doing wasn't much of a sacrifice at all but just what you do to be closer to Christ. I feel that the last 10 days my heart has been willing to put aside some of the things of the world and have the ability to approach each day with a smile and cheerful attitude. Giving up TV and music was not that hard. The hard part was not getting irritated at the little things. Not so much at my friends - but my children. It is so easy to just let them get under my skin and I really wanted this to make me a better person so I had to work on this the hardest. I think I did pretty good. Only a few minor set backs but thank goodness the children are easily forgiving of my faults! I want to keep this willing heart and continue with some of the things I had committed to do for the last 10 days. I like how it made things feel here in my home and how I thought about all the people in my life. I love everyone who has blessed me and been my friend. I love my children and especially my sweet husband who sacrifices so much for all of us. What a blessing this life can be if are hearts are in the right place - no matter what comes my way it is still a wonderful blessing!

No comments: