Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Every day matters

Today I heard a song (don't know the artist or who was singing) but the line that stayed with me all afternoon has been "you just can't hurry up the good stuff in your life". I have thought about this all afternoon. I have thought about when I was younger, much younger, I wanted to be older. I could hardly wait until this or that happened so I could have the experiences. I thought I knew what I wanted to be when I "grew up". That was constantly changing. I thought about after I started having my children I would think "I can hardly wait until they are older, or could walk, or could talk. I can hardly wait until they go to school, or play ball. I can hardly wait until they can drive or get a job." Those thoughts have always been running through my mind as the children continue to grow. A few years ago when I realized I was not going to have any more babies I realized that every moment I wanted to cherish with this last little child. I was going to capture everything and write it down, take tons of pictures. I never wanted to lose these memories. But soon, too soon, I found myself thinking the same thoughts I had with all my other kids, when will this or that happen. I have learned that you can't hurry up the good stuff in your life - you need to capture it and live it every day of your life! The past 27 years of raising children sometimes seems like a blur. I find it hard to come to the realization that I have a 27 year old; and also, that I have a 5 year old, and lots of "year"olds in between. David and I were talking and he commented that he could not remember certain things and was amazed that I could recollect certain things with such clarity. I told him that these things had been on my mind for a while and that I often remembered things as I was going back to scrapbook an event or read in my journals. These things were the "good stuff". But today I realized that all the little things, the things that happen day to day that don't get pictures taken of or written down in my journal - those things really are the "good stuff". I shouldn't hurry them up - I should savor it - laugh with it- love with it - cry with it (when necessary) - and slow it down if I can. Every day matters!

I have been prompted to start a project - don't know how it will go or how I will journal it but I want to chronicle somehow the subject "Everyday Matters". I think I want to do it for a year like my sister has done with her "Day in the life" journal. Yes, I will start that and work on it for the year. I challenge my friends to do the same and if you do let me know - we can encourage each to keep it up for the year. As I begin I know that it will be subject to change - not the theme but maybe how I record it. I have something in mind and will share from time to time on my blog.

For today though, I will not hurry up the good stuff and remember that today mattered!

2 comments:

Toshia said...

I love you! I miss you guys a lot this week...it is so true about all the little stuff each day. I am amazed each day how much changes and how fast time flies by.

Terri said...

What a beautifully written post and I couldn't agree with you more! So important to enjoy EACH moment whether it's 'important' or not. Thanks for the reminder!

Love you!
Terri