Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My Sunday Lesson

I love when it is my time to teach in Relief Society. I love the preparation part and the study. As I was working with the given topic for this month I was having a hard time making it come together. I talked with Sis. Hoffman and we decided to go with "Finding Joy in the Word". I can do that I thought. I never imagined the wonderful journey this topic would take me. The book of Mormon is full of journeys. Physical as well as spiritual. That pattern is for another day but suffice it to say that my journey began in that book.

While reading chapter 33 in Alma as a family one morning I was completely taken back with the last verse:

"And now my brethren, I desire that ye shall plant this word in your hearts, and as it beginneth to swell even so nourish it by your faith. And behold, it will become a tree, springing up in you unto everlasting life. And then may God grant unto you that your burdens may be light, through the JOY of his Son. And even all this can ye do if ye will. Amen."

Now, I know that Alma had been teaching the people to experiment upon the word (chpt. 32) but for some reason the last line just stayed with me. Finally, later in the morning I had to stop what I was doing and go to it again. As I started really taking it apart my journey began.

First, I learned that the word we should plant was that of the atonement (read the verse before).

Second, the way to nourish this word was with faith, patience and diligence (go to Alma 32:41).

Third, the verse says it will become a tree - well, I had learned from Elder Packer a couple of years ago that when Lehi had his vision of the tree of life (1 Nephi 8) that tree being the "love of God" -"For God so loved the world, that he sent His Son..." the tree is Jesus Christ. The fruit is the atonement. Elder Holland teaches that "the tree of life as a symbol includes the tree on which he would be slain for the sins of the world". When we pluck the fruit of that tree, it will make us happy because it is the fruit of the atonement, of the resurrection, of forgiveness of sins, of everything that is involved with Christ.

Fourth, the way our burdens may be made light is through the atonement because He not only suffered for our sins, but for pains, sicknesses, and infirmities of all people (Alma 7)

Going back to the last line of the verse in Alma 33 - the joy talked about is the atonement. Therefore, my topic could say "Finding the Atonement in Jesus Christ". True joy - everlasting joy is the atonement. How can I apply the atonement in my life so I can feel that pure joy spoken of? Well, to begin with we need to have the "word" before our eyes. If enough time will be spent with those words, faith can be exerted and sins can be dropped along the trail. In Jacob 3 he teaches us (and he is talking to the pure in heart - those living life the best they know how- a covenant keeping people) that when "the word" comes, our job is to "lay hold" on it. Scripture study is the time to leave the alleys of mortality and visit the halls of eternity!

My journey led me to many more things concerning the atonement but what I came to understand the most from this is that the atonement is as much for the benefit of my sins as it is that he has atoned for the sins of others! The Lord is the living bread and water and comes to us with that offering to accept of his atonement for others sins. Think about that the next time we take the sacrament. When we accept this we are blessed with all that is needful and we find ourselves cleansed from sinfulness as were Joseph in Egypt, Daniel, Meshach, Shadrach, Abednego, Alma as Amulon persecutes his people (Mosiah 24). Have you ever wondered how Joseph had the capacity to be so forgiving to his brothers? I have. He understood how the atonement works. He lived it as did the other men I mentioned! Wow, for me this understanding brought peace and joy!

The last thing I learned as I was studying talks and words from general authorities and women's conference talks was that the temple is the connecting point between heaven and earth. It is where God's power is exposed. The atonement is not fully realized without temple ordinances. The temple completes the atonement of Jesus Christ. As I had the opportunity to go to the temple two weeks ago I really listened hard to any connection of the atonement - WOW - from beginning to end it all connects. What a blessing that night was for me as I thought of all the things I had been connecting and then to realize and see the words, to feel the words, to actually pluck of that fruit - I came away with such peace and an indescribable joy. I learned that night that the atonement is continuous. Therefore, our joy can be continuous as we continually feast upon the word!

Teaching Sunday I hope that I was able to convey all the thoughts and feelings that I had as I discovered these connecting ideas. It is hard to say but I know I felt the spirit teaching me as we wandered through the scriptures. There have been only a few times when the spirit has taught me like I have been taught this last few months. Because this had been on my mind, as I have been researching things for other topics or assignments I see the connecting of JOY, ATONEMENT,CHRIST over and over. I am grateful for a loving Father in Heaven who has the patience to wait as we come to recognize these beautiful teachings he has for us. As my word for the year last year was "joy" and I tried to be "happy" all year, I really now know what it is to have joy in my life and I now can say I am a woman of JOY!

1 comment:

Emma J said...

Wpw. I wish I could have been in on your Sunday class.

I'm feeling a reverberation with what you've written here and a book I finished reading this last week by Margaret Barker called (I think)Temple Themes in Christian Worship. She's British, Methodist, a prominent scholar of the Old Testament. But she has discovered in her studies of the OT, Dead Sea Scrolls and early Christian writings the same pattern: the tree of life - Christ - atonement - joy. And the whole point of her book is that for the early Jewish Christians, especially, the temple of Solomon is where all these teachings come together - like you said!