Thursday, February 7, 2008

Knock, knock - Who's there?

I have been thinking a lot today about the funny things our kids say. I have heard some adorable stories from my friends today and these little kids have been on my mind. They are so innocent and not afraid to speak their minds. They are unassuming and love to try and make us laugh. Sometimes they are quite serious and can not understand why we are trying our hardest not to laugh out loud (lol) or why we are laughing so hard tears are streaming down our faces. You can imagine over the years all of the funny things I have heard from my eleven children. They have mispronounced words, spoken the truth at the most inconvenient times, and tried to tell jokes that have absolutely no punch line but leave themselves laughing! It really has been the joy of my life to have had the opportunity to hear these funny things from so many children. Case in point, lately Autumn has decided that knock knock jokes are just the funniest thing. But they make absolutely no sense. "Knock, knock. Who's there? Mirror. Mirror who? Isn't it cool to be a car!" Followed by loud laughter. "Want to hear another one mommy? Sure." Well, this can go on for at least twenty minutes. Until she finally says, " I just don't think there is anyone knocking on my door anymore". {I don't have the heart to tell her no one has been knocking on her door for a while;)} I can remember back when Ashleigh used tell me the same kind of jokes followed by Toshia, Chelsea, Seth, Paige, Chloe, Chad, Noah, Taylor, and Hayden. All of them at this age thought they were the funniest joke tellers around. I so wish I could bottle up this innocence and have time freeze so they could always be this happy. It is sad to watch as they get older and life becomes more serious and they have a hard time finding the "funny" in anything. Don't get me wrong growing up is so important and I would not want them to not go through all the wonderful and hard things life has to offer. But how can we get them to still see the lighter things of life and that it is OK to tell a knock knock joke once in awhile? I think that is why God blessed us with little ones so we could see how to laugh again after going through those teenage years with all the drama. We would do well to learn from these wise little ones!

9 comments:

Paige said...

I love this age, too. I forget how jaded they get as they get older. :(

Aundrea said...

I've been thinking a lot about this lately too. Nalani has such a vivid imagination. Last night she was pretending Kelly was "Diego" and introduced me to her friend. The night before she was pretending Kelly was Austin from the "Backyardigans" and told him he was, "Austin the Fart" (she was meaning to say 'Austin the Smart') we were laughing so hard!

Jodi said...

I love all the little things Ben says right now and I try to write most of them down. We will have such a good time going back and laughing together as we reread them.
Hehe...I'm giggling at 'Austin the fart'! Too funny, Aundrea!

Toshia said...

Autumn is too precious! I still laugh about last night when she told me "when my mom finally gets a grandma then I will be your kid." I think I know what she meant, but still. Too funny!

Tiffini said...

Oh the knock, knock joke phase! Ethan and Zach are just starting to get the idea of a punch line. One of Zach's favorites--What is homework? Work that your home does! I know you are probably rolling on the ground laughing huh?

Random samplings of my Delightful Life said...

I loved what you wrote. The are o precious and sometimes we get so busy we forget to just enjoy the moment.

Elder Caleb Habel said...

Okay, okay...I have a good one, complements of Caleb Hugh
How do you get a whatever out of the bathtub?
"You turn on the hot water and burn it's bum."
hahahahahah hee hee

Anonymous said...

Knock-knock jokes are the funniest thing with little kids! The fact that they think they are telling a joke that makes absolutely no sense is what makes me laugh though :)

Aundrea said...

I tagged you:) Go to my blog for details!