Sunday, October 30, 2011

Thankful for...

I am thankful for trials whenever, however they come, big or small. I love this quote from Elder Paul V. Johnson's April 2011 General Conference talk, "[Trials] are vitally important to the process of putting on the divine nature. If we handle these afflictions properly, they will be consecrated for our gain.


Elder Orson F. Whitney said: “No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. … All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable. … It is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire."

I have been thinking a lot about the trials in my life - as I have been teaching seminary I have been revisiting the teachings of some great men and women in the Old Testament. I have felt again the hand of the Lord in my life as I take on the tasks and hard things of this life. I also see the joy and love from my Heavenly Father as He is there beside me through everything. I hope that how I choose to experience the trials in my life will do as Elder Whitney teaches - build me, purify my heart, expand my soul and make me more charitable and tender.

Hilary Weeks has a new music video called "Beautiful Heartbreak." I love it! There are two women featured throughout the video. Stephanie Nielsen, who survived a plane crash with her husband and was burned over 80% of her body. And Mariama Kallon, who lost all of her family and everything she owned in a civil war raging in West Africa. I have heard Mariama speak twice now. I love her story and her courage and her spirit. One thing that stood out to me was how she uses her scriptures as her personal therapist. I have done that many times in my life. But I am sure there are many more times when I have not turned to Him first - a lesson that she taught me and I have been trying to do over the last two years.




My trials have become "beautiful heartbreaks" in my life. I am who I am because of the hard things I have had to face. Facing the hard things with God on my side has made me stronger and for that I am very grateful!

2 comments:

Toshia said...

I love that song and the video made me cry! Thank you so much for sharing that with us, I needed that today;)

Elder Caleb Habel said...

That is a beautiful song!