Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Mormon for Christ

Yesterday there seemed to be a lot of chatter out on the news and radio about the fact that Mormons were part of a cult and therefore not Christian. This is not new to me. I have heard it over and over again. While listening to the radio yesterday for about 5 minutes Noah heard what was being said and he said to me, "Mom, you know the doctrine, you should call and and set them straight!". His comment has stuck with me all evening and into today. Knowing how long you have to wait to get through on the radio (I've had called in before about other issues) I really did not have the time right then to do that. But I bore my testimony to him about my love for the Savior and that He is the center of everything for me. The comment that was made was that Mormons do not believe that salvation comes through Jesus Christ. That is a very funny statement because "we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins". {2Nephi 25:26} It is these truths that I teach my children. The pages of the Book of Mormon are full of the teachings and love of Christ. It is "another witness". The bible tells that "by two or three witnesses they shall know me". I know that there are many aspects of the church that people outside of the church do not fully understand. But if you want to know the truth - go to the source. Do not believe something you hear from someone outside of the faith. We believe that the church is now restored as it was when Christ was on the earth. That all the saving ordinances have been restored through the priesthood. That Joseph Smith was the one chosen to restore these things. He paid for it with his life. The Lord has living prophets on the earth today to guide us and be on the "watchtower". I did not come to this knowledge by just relying on what I have been taught or what people have told me. I did the work. I read, studied, prayed and received an answer that "I know that my Redeemer Lives" and loves me. I am a daughter of my Heavenly Father and I have promised to "stand as a witness at all times, and in all places, and in all things". I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I do not belong to the church of Joseph Smith. He was a modern-day mouth piece for the Lord. I appreciate all that he did but I know that it is only through my Savior Jesus Christ that I can find salvation. I know these things to be true. I hopefully live them so that when you see me you will see the light of Christ in me. I do slip up. I do need to "remember always" and because of my Savior I can repent and keep myself turned towards my covenants.

I don't know if I would have been allowed to say all of that on the radio - but I can say it here - this is who we are - "Mormons" are people of Christ!


No comments: