Friday, March 28, 2008

"Grandma?"

Boy! What a week we have had. What a very fun spring break. The weather has been so weird. I can not believe that we woke up to SNOW! And it actually stuck for a little while. The beach was beautiful as always and so relaxing. I am out of all my usual habits but that is OK. Monday morning we will be back into the regular routine of things and then it is just a short time until summer!

There is one thing I have wanted to blog about for several weeks but have not had the time to sit down and type out my thoughts. As everyone knows Toshia and Andrew now have custody of Adrian. One of the things I get to do is pick him up from school sometimes. The first week of doing this was not really a big deal. On the second day though I could hear him tell his teacher - "There she is, there is my Grandma" - Well, I looked around and thought what is his Grandma doing here - and then it hit me - I was the "Grandma". OK, so I have wanted to be a grandmother for so long now and it really threw me off for a minute. But as soon as I realized that I was the "Grandma" he was referring to I had to laugh at myself. I knew that but to hear it was something entirely different. Luke and Adrian are such good kids and we have only had such a limited amount of time with them. I have not really pushed the call me "Grandma" thing so I was very happy to hear Adrian say that. I have to say I had a smile on my face for some time after that. My sister has 18 grandchildren now and I think one more on the way, I love seeing her with all the kids and see that at my house. It has been slow in coming but with Toshia's new baby coming in October I will have three very beautiful grandchildren and hopefully those other daughters of mine will get the hint and I will see that number grow soon.

8 comments:

Paige said...

Aw, that's sweet. :) I bet he is thrilled to introduce you as his totally young, hip grandma. How cool that you are getting to spend so much time together now.

Toshia said...

you are going to make me cry! Adrian loves his time at grandma's house, he is always asking to go over there. Thank you for all you have been doing to help us out, we love you!

Michelle said...

What a fun new phase of life! You are the coolest grandma!

sheila said...

Your kids are definitely dropping the ball on the grandkids thing. Tell them to get into gear!!

Elder Caleb Habel said...

That is so sweet. Warms my heart. What lucky kids to have a grandma like you. So this is the first I am hearing of a baby in October...YEAH Toshia. I'll go to her blog immediately to get the scoop.

Anonymous said...

What a super sweet moment Candy! I love the way you expressed that story :) After reading Toshia's blog I couldn't help but wonder about all the emotions you must be feeling. What a special time in you life this is . . . and you really do still seem so young to be experiencing it. How lucky for your grandchildren to have such a fun Grandma!!!

Aundrea said...

That's such a cute story~ You'll remember it forever and ever! I'm so glad Toshia's going to have a baby yeah!

Rochelle said...

Congrats! Its hard to believe your a grandma, so young and hip! Cute story!