Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Morning Has Broken

A couple of weeks ago the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang a song during their "Music and the Spoken Word" that I immediately recognized but I knew it was not a church hymn. They often sing many different kinds of songs but I was surprised at this one. Cat Stevens was one of the artists I liked as a teenager. I liked his songs a lot apparently because not only did I have his albums I have his song books. (still do - I hardly ever throw music away and so have quite a collection) They sang a song that he had done "Morning Has Broken". (written by Eleanor Farjeon) I love this song - and by the way I loved the arrangement they did of it. The lyrics have been running through my head for a couple of weeks now and this morning I went for a long run (7 miles) and as I was running and watching the world wake up it reminded me of this song. What a beautiful run - in fact, I did not really think about how far I was going and when I was back home felt so good I could have run longer - it was because of the beauty I was witnessing. The sounds I was hearing and the smells I was smelling. I love it here! My run this morning was on backroads and near open fields. How very thankful I am for all of our Heavenly Father's creations. When things are hard for me I can just go outside and see His hand in everything! I know His hand is in my life! What peace this gives me.

"Morning has broken like the first morning.
Blackbird has spoken like the first bird.
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning.
Praise for them springing fresh from the world.

Sweet the rain's new fall, sunlit from heaven
Like the first dewfall on the first grass.
Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden,
Sprung in completeness where his feet pass.

Mine is the sunlight, Mine is the morning,
Born of the one light Eden saw play.
Praise with elation, praise every morning,
God's recreation of the new day."

(The song is now on my playlist if you want to hear it - just scroll down to the bottom and click on it)

2 comments:

Aundrea said...

I love Cat Stevens (or whatever his name is now...) I remember raiding my parents record collection and listening to his a lot! It would be interesting to hear the "Motab" sing a song like that:)

Thanks for letting me tag along for your "short" run this morning! Three miles is a long run for me, but thanks for motivating me and not letting me quit!

Emma J said...

I've always loved this song, too. Your post tugs me back to remembering how much I've loved walking and biking these roads and how I need to return to that.

Love the music you have playing on your site.