Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Autumn's list


Last week we had our "Glitz & Glam" Pinewood Derby for our Birthday Enrichment.(side note: this was a very fun activity and I loved the cute cars and Sheila you did and excellent job on the food!) So Thursday was spent decorating at the church and getting all the last minute things done for that. Autumn was my helper for the day. We had several errands to run and I kept telling her all the things that we needed to do when we got to the church. While I was checking messages and emails in the morning she was busy drawing and creating. I did not pay much attention to what she was up to. All I noticed is that she was not pestering me every two minutes for a snack:) When we got to the church she handed me these cards.

"What are these, Autumn?" "Oh, this is our list of all the things we have to do at the church. You said we needed eight tables and three balloons on each table. Chairs set up and the silverware put on the tables. When we get done then we can check it all off and then we will know that we are finished with all the things we need to do today."

Now anyone who knows me knows I am not a "list" girl. There are times I make a list after the fact just so I can check things off - but in reality it is my sweet husband who makes lists. All kinds of lists. Every evening when he comes home from work he empties his pockets of the little notes he makes to himself all day. Sometimes it just drives me nuts because he seems to have to write down even the simplest things to remember. My kids are used to him doing this and some of them are list makers. But most are more like me. Maybe I resist lists because of his list making - that's one for a therapy session:) Anyway, Autumn is apparently like her dad. She often likes to have things listed (like her job chart a few weeks ago). I just thought it was so clever for her to be organized for my busy day. It really did help and she knew just what I wanted her to do and because she was so helpful I got through my very busy day and did not forget anything! Well, I did not get my car all the way finished and then I did forget to bring what I had done to the dinner and so did not race and I was late because of traffic coming in from town. But the things that really needed not to be forgotten all got done because of Autumn's list!

6 comments:

Lynn Boyle said...

kids lists are so fun. jake has a chore list he wants to earn money for jumpstart program 7.00 per month. lets try to run further Friday okay?

Michelle said...

I love her pictures! What a creative AND organized girl!

Tiffini said...

that is really cute.

Elder Caleb Habel said...

What a sweety to keep her mom organized.

Jodi said...

Cute! I am a list maker, too. If I don't make a list...it seems I never get anything done :(

Wendy Birmingham said...

Candy, I am hoping you check these messages often. I am Wendy Church from Boulder City. I found your blog about BC and saw the old class picture. Email me! I would love to catch up with you!
wendy.birmingham@psych.utah.edu
or
wbirmingham@gmail.com

Wendy Church Birmingham