Sunday, July 8, 2012

Book Club retreat last May

The first weekend in May I went to Coos Bay with some friends. It has been at least 33 years since I have been to that part of the coast. We had read a book called "A Gathering of Finches" by Jane Kirkpatrick. It was all about the family that was at the heart of the settling of Coos Bay way back when. When Krista moved there we thought it would be an ideal place to go for our annual "book club" retreat. I had such a wonderful weekend. I had spent a lot of days working to unpack my mom and John into their new house and so it turned out to be a great break from all the hard work. We really lucked out and had amazing weather. We hiked all around the property of the Simpson estate which is now a state park. The gardens talked about in the book are still there and part of the gazebo which is now a look out over the ocean. We had such a great time eating, talking, and going to antique and junk stores. Krista was the best host ever! I love her little house and her decorating style. It was so nice to spend time without having the daily responsibilities that come with life. A few days is all I needed though before I missed my family and all that I always look forward to when I leave home and come back.
I did acquire some of my loved Pyrex from our shopping. I did get a few more pieces but for some reason this is the only photo I took. That little hobby is for another post later. It was fun to find it far from home and in new places that I got to explore. This little trip did me so much good! Even today as I look back and remember it I am filled with love for my friends and cherish the memories that we created together. I discovered new things about myself and hard things I have had to deal with have been lighter because of this memory I hold in my heart. I know it sounds sappy but whatever, I can hardly wait until next years little retreat!

1 comment:

Darilyn said...

It was fun. Such a relaxing time and I'm so glad I got to spend time with you! And help search for Pink Pyrex!