Sunday, July 27, 2008

An "ah ha" moment

I have been visiting my mom. We have had a wonderful time so far and it has been wonderful visiting my family. I love visiting her ward. They are so kind and and it is a beautiful ward building. All the talks in Sacrament were outstanding. I was so touched and had so many thoughts running through my head. Some of what was spoken goes along with what I have been studying for my Relief Society lesson in August. One talk was about the foundation that had been laid in order for Joseph Smith to be able to access to the information he had that led him to the grove. Facts that I knew but still presented in a way that really got you to think seriously about the hand that our Heavenly Father really has in this gospel. The other adult talk helped me see that even though I have struggled with the choices some of my kids have made I need to continue to teach and give opportunities for the spirit to be in my home. I am often reminded of this as of late. I think the Lord is hearing my petitions to Him and letting me know that I need to "stay the course". I really felt the spirit during the whole meeting. It was in Relief Society during the lesson on "Testimony" that I had my "ah ha" moment. A testimony is testifying of what you know! In wondering where I went wrong in giving my children their testimonies I realized that it was not my duty to give them a testimony. My duty is to give them the knowledge they will need to attain a testimony. Why had I not realized this distinction before is beyond me. I have given them the opportunities they need to attain that knowledge. They have to decide how to use it and attain their own testimonies from it. My responsibility as a mother is to teach them the components of a testimony and give them opportunities to feel the spirit so that the spirit can testify to them and build on the knowledge they are gaining. I think what has been happening to my children is that at a certain age when they become acutely aware of the world that they become more interested in the knowledge that the world has to offer them and they begin to hold on to those ideals as correct principles. It is so important as a parent to keep trying to get them to turn back to the knowledge that the gospel brings. Some of the kids have found that distinction and a few are struggling to understand it and some I know will come back to it. The Lord has blessed me as a mother with wisdom and understanding so that I can see and hear when He is teaching me. I KNOW the gospel is true and hope that by the way I live my life my children will see the joy the gospel brings me. I am so excited to teach next week and share about the the joy of womanhood and motherhood. I am so grateful for other teachers who take the time to study and learn so they can pass on the knowledge I need to strengthen my testimony!

3 comments:

Jodi said...

Candy, your testimony is so strong and I am strengthened by your words. Thank you for sharing your 'ah ha' moment with us.
I look forward to hearing you speak next week!

Marie said...

I love those little moments of understanding when things just click...one day maybe I'll get to hear one of your lessons!

Aundrea said...

I always love reading about your experiences. You are a great teacher!