Thursday, January 5, 2012

Purpose

I can't believe that it is the 5th day of January already. I have been working everyday since New Year's putting things away from the holidays. It has been a slow process because I am cleaning out as I go. I decided that this year is going to be my year for organization and de-cluttering. I began this process while putting away the Christmas decorations. I have accumulated so many holiday things over that past 32 years and so much of it I don't use anymore. I was tired of repacking everything just to set aside. I know some of you would not let this go on but it really has only just been a couple of years that things seem to be overflowing. I organized the decorations by theme and even had a box for all the homemade things the children have made over the years. I don't think I can ever let those things go. It feels so good to know that what is up in the rafters for next year is what I absolutely love! It will be fun unpacking it to decorate next year. Along with this goal of organization I thought long and hard about my word for the year. Last year I worked all year long on my word and was able to apply it in lots of areas of my life. I wanted this word to mean more than "unclutter". I do a twelve month journal with my word and also wanted it to be a word that I could continue to work on after I got "organized". So this year I came up with "purpose". It really fits. I have so much filling my life right now. I want everything I do and everything I surround myself with to have purpose. That does not necessarily mean functional. I want to love the things around me. Some of the things I collect don't function per say but they make me smile. Memories of an event or time in my life will fill my mind and that gives that object purpose for me. As far as organizing goes not only have I accumulated tons of Christmas decorations but all over the house things are tucked away because I might "someday" need to use it. I am realizing that if I have not looked at it for the past seven years (as long as I have been in our new house) I just don't need it taking up space. I am going to focus on an area of the house each month. The ultimate big goal is to get my garage cleaned out and organized. It is some what of a daunting task if I think too much about it. That is why I am being realistic about things and also biting off chucks at a time and not the whole thing in one weekend. With what little I have already done I feel lighter, more focused, and a bit more organized. Clearing the clutter will allow me to use my time to better myself and those whom I love. I will be a better mother, wife, sister, aunt, and grandmother. Yes, this is going to be a great year - a year with "purpose"!



No comments: