Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Very Different Christmas Eve

Christmas eve was very different this year. Don't get me wrong it was wonderful but different. When you are used to lots of kids and lots of chaos and lots of noise, only having 5 of those kids home on Christmas eve is just different. We had a wonderful time. When David got home we went out looking at lights as usual and doing some secret service projects we had planned. (Santa's elves were working over time this year;)) Then home and the making of hot chocolate and snowman donuts. We left one for Santa this year instead of the usual cookies and milk. It was so quiet. The children went right to bed and with no fuss they were asleep in no time. David and I did not know what to do with ourselves as everything had been ready to go for a week now. We watched a movie and then around 12:30 we set the gifts out. At 6:30 I got up to put the ham in but everyone stayed asleep until Ashleigh and Nick got out here. Typically everyone comes home and spends the night together all in one room. That did not happen this year so we had to wait for everyone to come over. The plan was to be here by 7:00 but by 8:00 everyone was finally here.

We opened presents, had a wonderful breakfast and then played and sat around and enjoyed each other's company.

Andrew left to get Luke and by the time he got back all the older children had left. We opened gifts with Luke and then they went home to finish their Christmas and David and I then did something we have never done before. We left to go to a movie! Just the two of us. That was a gift to ourselves. It was fun to go on a date on Christmas but kind of weird at the same time. The children loved it because they could play their new Wii to their hearts content. I don't even think they noticed much that we left for a few hours. It was nice to spend time with David. He has worked so hard this season - harder than past years - so he really enjoyed some alone time with me. But I do have to say it was a very different Christmas. I guess I never knew how it would be when kids were grown. I guess it is a sign of Christmas's to come. I will have to get used to it - but I am sure as more grandchildren come along a new tradition of things will settle in here at our home. I look forward to the change of things - but still no noise and no constant begging of the children to stay in bed on Christmas eve is just weird!

3 comments:

Rochelle said...

Candy, how neat to have a house full of kids! I'm not looking forward to the years when my kids aren't all there and they come leisurely. Ahh to change with time.

Elder Caleb Habel said...

Even though it was different it sounds wonderful all the same. How fun to go on a Christmas date with you sweetheart. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Tiffini said...

A Christmas date--sounds like things are changing in good ways.