Thursday, December 24, 2009

Happy Birthday Noah!


Yesterday Noah turned 14! All he has wanted for two years now is an electric guitar. He has been learning on an acoustic one that is Chad's. I wanted to be sure he was serious about this music thing and he has been. It is amazing how much he has learned from the books I got him and the Internet. This year he has been feeling a little left out as far as birthdays go. He talked to me a lot how he felt that it just got blended into Christmas. I don't blame him and we have tried over the years to make it special for him but he seemed so sad about it this year. I told David we had to do something really special and completely unexpected. I had told him a guitar was out of the question and to quit bothering me about it. He never did quit asking though. We got a great deal on this one so went for it. David did a treasure hunt with clues for him early in the morning during scripture time. He was getting frustrated until he saw what he had gotten! He was so surprised and David said he had never seen such a big smile on his face before. He literally played that thing all day. We had planned to go to zoo lights after dinner with Toshia and her family as part of his birthday. Well, when we got there only thousands of other people had decided to do the same thing. There was no parking and when we went to where the shuttle was there was over an hour wait for the the shuttle. We decided to go to Krispy Kreme and have hot chocolate and donuts. When I told him how sorry I was for not getting to see the lights he said, "What, this is so much better. I am warm, not having to walk all over and I get one of my favorite treats!" I guess sometimes what we think we are doing for them we are doing for ourselves. I guess I wanted the lights - oh well, he had the best birthday ever!!!!

No comments: