Thursday, May 7, 2009

May field trip


Yesterday I went on a field trip with Hayden and her second grade class. I have to admit that I have gotten out of these little excursions for the last few years. I went on my share of field trips the first fifteen or so years that I have had kids in school. I was taking a little break - you might say I was giving other parents the opportunity to spend this quality time with their child. Well, Hayden was not having it anymore. Autumn is way to old to use as an excuse anymore so I gave in and said I would go. That was almost two months ago. She has been planning and anticipating this day ever since I passed the "background" check. (Can I say I had never had to that before - I am glad they do it - I think - but still ---) As soon as I got on the bus I thought to myself, "What was I thinking... these kids are so wound up!" Once we got there it was OK. I had three (including Hayden) cute little girls to be in charge of. They were very excited to say the least and the first half hour was jumping from one thing to another. After the sub tour they calmed down a bit and took more time at things. As lunch time got closer and they got hungrier they stayed pretty close so they would not miss out on that. Finally it was time to leave and come home and my thought was that the whole bus load of kids would be settled down and quieter. Not so, may I say that the bus ride home was just as adventuresome as the ride there. Oh well, it is an experience that I will treasure as time very well spent with miss Hayden. She later told me it was the best day ever until she got in trouble for not cleaning her room. Oh well, I guess all best days have to come to a close even if it means having to clean your room and get ready for the next best day to come. As one last thought: I kind of think I missed these little trips with the kids - but not sure whether I miss them enough to get on a bus full of second graders again:)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm glad that you went too. It was nice to have a friendly face on that crazy bus!

sheila said...

I recently went with Hayden's 7th grade class on a field trip. On a bus. While I also enjoyed spending that time with her, I wished I would have driven myself in! I have used little kids for an excuse for a long time also, but I still have at least a coupl eof more years before I have to give it up!

Darilyn said...

Hey, will I be seeing you on Friday? I love the story of the field trip!

Tiffini said...

Sounds like a fun day! The bus rides are crazy--but worth it to get to know my kids' friends.

Jodi said...

I LOVE OMSI! I miss going on fieldtrips...it was one of my favorite things about being a teacher. However, I had 4 & 5th graders. They aren't quite as crazy on the bus ;)
I'm glad you enjoyed the day. I'm sure it is a day Hayden will remember forever!