Monday, February 4, 2013

God Chose Me

Autumn is a very special girl. I really don't know what to think of most of what she says or does. She is so tenderhearted and thoughtful. She is a normal nine year old but there is something very special about her. She was so excited to get her scriptures last year when she was baptized. I have purchased many sets of scriptures over the years and decided to go with some hard cover less expensive ones so they would not get destroyed by the time she turned 12 or so. Well, she was not unhappy with them but not particularly happy with them. They were heavy and she had a hard time finding the books in them. So all she wanted for Christmas was "all-in-ones" as she called them. It was spelled out very plainly in a letter to Santa Clause that she needed this kind of scriptures to read better. So Santa was very happy to grant her her wish. It was all she wanted for Christmas after all. I often catch her doing what she is doing in this picture. She loves marking her scriptures. She is very organized about it. She has a color for scriptures she hears in primary, a color for ones from Sacrament meeting, a color for ones from FHE, and you guessed it a color for our family scripture study. She started a scripture journal. She said she wanted to be like me. She sees me keeping notes all of the time about the things I read. She started with the Book of Mormon and for every chapter she read she has been summarizing it. It is slow going for her. She does not understand a lot of the words but she is trying. I love her tenacity. She does not want to give up. When a few days go by and she has not read she gets back to it and lets me know she is trying again. What a wonderful habit she is forming. I do remember many of the children doing similar things at this same age. I remember their innocence and love for all things church related. But still, there is something a little different about this with Autumn. I have a strong desire to cultivate it, to continue with my own studying so she can see how she motivates me. I know that this study of the scriptures is helping her to develop her testimony.

Yesterday after church she came into my room with this little note. She had written it the night before but wanted me to have it. I think she had planned on giving her testimony in Sacrament meeting but didn't. She said she thought I needed to see her testimony and that she hoped it would make me happy. (Don't you love the pretty pink gems she added) What insight this little nine year old has. To know that God chose her to be with us at this time....what a blessing she is to our family and especially to me. It is hard to watch children go down the wrong path and make wrong choices. Sometimes I even think "Why am I even doing this?" This little note, this small little testimony is why. The lesson I learned from Autumn yesterday was that God chose me to be the mother of these eleven children, these very strong spirits who needed someone who would love them no matter what. I love my kids and oh how I appreciate now more than ever nine year olds! 

1 comment:

Toshia said...

I hope you realize that I am still your favorite;) Autumn is such an amazing little anchor to our family and I am so glad that she is my little sister and that my children are learning from her example (well, I'm glad about most of the things she teaches them!) I love you and you are an amazing mother. Thank you!!!